Iran issued a notice to airmen (NOTAM), warning of potential rocket activity in the airspace. It was issued amid escalating tensions with the US, which has deployed warships near Iran, as US Vice President JD Vance reportedly said Washington was weighing whether to continue diplomatic engagement with Tehran or pursue other options.
According to the alert, pilots are advised to avoid flying between ground level and Flight Level 100 (approximately 10,000 feet) in the affected region due to safety risks linked to possible launches, showed Flightradar24 tracker.
The NOTAM mentioned that Iran has planned rocket launches in areas across its south on Thursday from 330 GMT to 1330 GMT, news agency reuters reported, citing the US Federal Aviation Administration website.
Iran-US tensions
Tensions between Iran and US escalated after Washington dispatched an aircraft carrier strike group to the Middle East following Iran’s deadly response to anti-government protests that peaked last month.
On Monday, 16 February, Iran said that United States’ position on Iran’s nuclear program “has moved towards a more realistic one”, reported AFP.
The two nations recently resumed indirect talks, mediated by Oman, after President Trump repeatedly threatened military action against Iran over a deadly crackdown on protesters last month.
What Trump said?
On Wednesday, Donald Trump once again suggested the United States might strike Iran in a post on his Truth Social site.
He warned Britain against giving up sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, saying that the archipelago’s Diego Garcia airbase might be needed were Iran not to agree a deal, “in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime”.

